500,000 young adults enter the labour market of Nepal yearly but most of them remain unemployed or underemployed. Through the programme, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology along with the Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT) will be supported to establish a National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ) Framework and a corresponding NVQ Authority to manage it. People looking for work opportunities, especially those from the disadvantaged groups, will benefit from an improved vocational training qualification and skills certification system which increases their chances for a sustainable and decent employment.
The development of an adequate NVQ Framework and a corresponding NVQ Authority are consistently seen as key elements of the TVET reform process and the emerging TVET system of Nepal. The new NVQ F/A is foreseen to provide:
- pathways of progression from informal short courses to the formal TVET programmes;
- progression opportunities ("ladders") especially for disadvantaged youth with the lower level skills to higher levels, and easy transitions ("bridges") between the pillars of the education system;
- improving the quality and labour market relevance of TVET offers and expanding their coverage of the labour market and;
- establishing equivalences with vocational qualification systems in overseas labour markets.
- Wider consensus and learning on National Vocational Qualification Framework (NVQF) among policy and implementation level stakeholders.
- Information reached to mass population (over 3 million) about Nepal Vocational Qualifications System (NVQS)/ National Skill Testing System/National Vocational Qualifications Framework (NVQF).
- Piloting of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) approach in Hospitality and Construction Sector and ready for wider implementation.
- Capacity Development of CTEVT/NSTB/TITI staffs, government officials and private sector stakeholders through training (in-country and outside) and study exposure visit to five countries.
- Master assessors, model assessors and new assessors developed.
- Quality Assurance system in place for NSTB improving the service quality.
- Process development guide for National Occupational Skills Standard (NOSS), National Competency Standard (NCS) and Assessment Package.
- Assessors’ licensing system is in place.
- State wise skill test centre mapping of Nepal.
- Model Assessment Centre functional in construction sector, mechanical and electrical.
- Sector skill committees in Construction, Automobile and Hospitality sectors fully functional.
- NSTB/CTEVT’s ownership in NVQF development and implementation is increasing. NVQF is re-submitted to the Cabinet for approval.
- Skill assessments are now done through Accredited Skill Test Centres in the Provinces.